Perfect for lunch or dinner, this pesto pasta is powered by BARLEYmax and packs a nutritional punch!
This recipe is courtesy of BARLEYmax Nutrition Ambassador, Teri Lichtenstein (APD).
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
1 cup each fresh basil leaves, flat-leaf parsley leaves and mint leaves
1/3 cup shelled pistachios, toasted
½ cup (30g) BARLEYmax flakes
1 garlic clove, crushed
¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
250g box San Remo Pulse Pasta
2 bunches asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 3cm pieces
2 cups fresh baby rocket leaves
- In a food processor, combine basil, parsley, minut, pastachios and garlic. Blend mixture until herbs are well chopped, stopping occassionally to scrape the side of the bowl.
- Add BARLEYmax flakes. Continue to blend whilst slowly pouring in the oil till the mixture is well combined.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta until tender. During the last 2 minutes of cooking add the asparagus. Drain pasta and asparagus, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid.
- In a large bowl, mix pesto with the reserved cooking liquid. Add pasta and asparagus and toss to combine. Stir in rocket and season with salt and pepper (if desired).
- Transfer to a platter and serve.
- Any pasta can be used. Try this recipe with fettucine.
- Sprinkle grated Parmesan on the pasta before adding the rocket.
- Extra toasted pistachios can be mixed through before serving.